Friday, May 28, 2010

Let Your Characters Do The Work!





This morning I finally sat down with the goal of completing two chapters.  An hour later I was successful! I have always read about writers falling in love with their characters.  It's something that I often do when reading someone else's book.  They enter my daily thoughts, and I usually can't wait to find out what they will do next.  It's not really that different with writing my own book.  After getting past which POV to use, and the structure of the story, I can settle into bringing the characters to life.  They have lived inside of me for so long that displaying them to the world is quite exhilarating.  

Today my two main characters are getting to know each other.  They are in the midst of innocent flirting and endless possibilities.  They are recognizing how comforting it is to be in each other's company.  I am writing this book in first person, so at times I find it difficult to interpret what the male character Bobby is feeling through Mae's eyes.  I have to really try hard to tap into her senses to decipher what his body language means, and the tone of his voice.   The last chapter I wrote, Mae had butterflies in her stomach... I recognized as I wrote it that I had the same feeling.  I have already fallen in love with the characters that I am writing about.  When she is excited --so am I.  When she is sad -- I feel the same way.  

I am proud to say that my characters have taken me over. I am no longer writing from my mind, but from theirs.  They reveal to me on a regular basis how the story will play out, and reveal their secrets to me as we go. I am their puppet now.  I feel it's important to find the time within your story to let go and let your characters do the work.  You have set them free! Be confident in who they are and what they are capable of.  If you are stuck on a chapter, or a sentence.  Ask those very characters that you brought to life what they think would happen next. You will be surprised at how easy it is, once you trust them! 




Currently Reading














My review will be up next week! 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

So if you have more than one character whose mind you're in, you have to have a split personality, kinda? This is an interesting process to follow. Look forward to more!

Sarah Callejo said...

I felt really sad when I finished my manuscript. I felt a bit empty, as if I'd be missing their future, so I understand what you're saying!

Post a Comment